Heavy Upper Eyelids
Droopiness of upper eyelids can be by birth, and that is called Ptosis. Besides that droopiness and heaviness also happens in healthy eyes with ageing. Heaviness feels more in the evenings after a long day’s work. People seek treatment for this because it is unattractive and makes the person look aged, but also because heaviness interferes with reading and in severe cases restricts the field of vision.
Droopy and heavy eyelids can have one or more of the following problems:
- Excess skin in upper eyelid, hanging up eyelashes and causing difficulty in application of eye makeup in women
- Excess fatty bulges adding to heaviness
- Droopy/saggy eyebrow: Eyebrow sags down with age and gravity. That adds to cramping up of skin in the upper eyelid
- Ptosis: the weakness of eyelid elevating muscle can be by birth, due to injury or just related to ageing.
Treatment of drooping eyelid requires a thorough assessment of the cause. Treatment gives youthful, opened up, fresh look to the upper eyelid and relieves the heavy feeling.
One or more of the following procedures is done to address the problem:
- Upper eyelid Blepharoplasty surgery: This surgery removes extra skin and fat pads and gives a long lasting solution
- Botox: Botox injections can elevate the eyebrow and thus reduce the heaviness and give attractive look
- RF treatment: This treatment tightens the skin of the forehead and thus raises the eyebrows.
WHICH TREATMENT IS BEST FOR MY HEAVY EYELIDS?
An experienced plastic surgeon can diagnose the main cause of your problem and advise the treatment accordingly.
IS UPPER EYELID SURGERY SAFE?
In the hands of an experienced surgeon, upper eyelid surgery is safe.
ARE THE RESULTS PERMANENT?
Results of surgery are long lasting. Botox effect lasts 4-5 months, and RF treatments need to be repeated as necessary.
Under Eye Dark Circles/Hollowness
Under eyes, dark circles ( periorbital melanosis ) is a common condition. It refers to the darker colour of the skin of lower eyelids, which is clearly demarcated from fairer cheek skin at the rim of orbit bone. Under eyes dark circles make the person look tired, weak or aged. Under Eye, dark circles can happen in both young and old irrespective of the age. However, often the reasons are different.
Under Eye dark circles of younger people (teens and twenties): There is usually a familial tendency of having dark skin on both upper and lower eyelids. Some teenagers have a crescent shaped groove under the bottom eyelid near the nose, which causes shadowing and gives the appearance of dark circles
Under Eye dark circles of older adults (Thirties and beyond):
These dark circles have pigmentation in the dermis or can be due to delicate blood vessels underneath the thin eyelid skin giving it a darker colour. Cheek tissue sags with age due to gravity, and a hollow groove appears between eyelid and cheek where the bony rim of the orbital bone can be felt right underneath the skin. Sometimes there is an additional oblique groove cutting across the cheek causing an unsightly depression. The groove worsens the dark colour under the eyes by shadowing effect. Wrinkles of eyelid skin add to the problem.
Treatment of dark undereye circles:
- Juvederm: This can be used to fill the grooves and to remove the shadowing effect. Juvederm injections are safe, virtually painless and the result is instantaneous and results last up to two years in the undereye area.
- Skin prescription products: Like ZO products that contain depigmenting agents to reduce pigmentation and agents that reduce wrinkling and reduce puffiness. Some products also provide coverage.
- Chemical peels: Particular mild chemical peels are available for the delicate under eye skin.These peels reduce pigmentation and wrinkling.
- Microneedling: This treatment reduces the pigmentation and wrinkling. PRP can be added to enhance the results.
HOW CAN I PREVENT UNDER EYE DARK CIRCLES?
Maintaining a healthy diet, right haemoglobin level and restful sleep helps in prevention of dark circles. Always wear UV-protective shades ( goggles ) when going out in the sun to prevent wrinkles are dark circles the eyes.
ARE DARK CIRCLES CURABLE?
Majority of dark circles can be improved. However, sometimes and in some cases, the dark circles are genetic and in such situation using concealer is a good option.
HOW LONG DOES THE TREATMENT OF DARK CIRCLES TAKE?
Juvederm treatment takes less than half an hour. Chemical peels and micro needling treatments are done once a month for 4-6 months usually.
Lower eyelid surgery
Undereye bags are bulges under the eyes. They often happen with ageing, even though some younger people have them too. These bulges are the protective fat around the eyeball, which starts protruding out of the lower eyelid when, the lower eyelid structures are weakened as happens with ageing. Undereye bags look worse in mornings, and they reduce towards evening as the water drains out from these bags due to gravity during the daytime. Undereye bags are more prominent in those who are hypothyroid or hypertensive. There are three fat pads in each normal lower lid, but in individual cases, only one two or all three may show as undereye bags.
1.Transconjunctival blepharoplasty: it is a scarless surgery where gat pads are removed from lower eyelid through inside of the lower eyelid, scarlessly
2.Lower eyelid blepharoplasty: It is a surgery for severe bagging when there is also extra skin. Here both bags and extra skin are removed
3.Juvederm: Juvederm injections can reduce or totally hide the mild to moderate undereye bags. Juvederm results are immediate and last 1-1.5 years.
- Can undereye bags be prevented?
Answer : Appearance of undereye bags can be reduced by controlling blood pressure, treating hypothyroidism and by generally maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- What is the best treatment for me, juvederm injections or surgery?
A plastic surgeon experienced in both the treatments will provide you the best advice . Usually Juvederm injections are good for older cases and surgery for more advanced cases. Doctor will explain the down time , pros and cons of each treatment and help you select what option suits your requirement the best.
- Is there any risk to the eyes with the treatment ?
Answer : In hands of experienced plastic surgeon, both injection and surgery are safe .
Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty Juvederm® XC Lower eyelid surgery